Head of the RIA Center
The Director of the RIA Center - Daniel Tsygankov, Ph.D. in Sociology, a member of the European Evaluation Society, the International Sociological Association (ISA), and the International Association for Impact Assessment, Board Member of the Russian Evaluation Society, the scientific supervisor of the Moscow Colloquium on Program Evaluation, Ass. Professor of the Chair for Public Administration Theory and Practice, HSE.
Daniel Tsygankov is a member of the Editorial Board of the "Project, Monitoring and Evaluation" Journal, a member of the Advisory Committee on Entrepreneurship set up by the Eurasian Economic Commission Board.
- Expert support of the federal and regional executive government bodies, including the following:
- designing plans (roadmaps) for RIA implementation in the federal and regionalgovernment bodies;
- developing procedures for conducting RIA;
- developing Guidelines and Industry Guidances on RIA;
- conducting pilot projects on RIA, including the preparation of regulatory impact assessments;
- assisting in forming expert (consultative) RIA boards, departments and divisions;
- Organization of public consultations and other forms of data collection;
- Conducting regulatory impact assessment of draft (existing) regulatory legal acts at different stages of discussion, including the organization of permanent sectoral business panels, conducting expert focus groups for specific legal acts;
- Consulting business associations on the use of RIA at the federal level and in the regions of the Russian Federation;
- Introduction of "RIA-like" procedures (including financial feasibility studies) in the federal and regional legislative bodies;
- Development of academic courses and conducting full-time and part-time educational seminars, trainings webinars, short-and medium-term training and retraining courses for civil servants (federal and regional level) and municipal officials, representatives of business associations, employees of companies from "overregulated" markets, representatives of NGOs;
- Research, organization and participation in academic conferences, colloquiums and workshops on the development of RIA techniques and methodologies (ex-ante, on-going, ex-post evaluation);
- Lecturing at undergraduate and graduate degree programs of Russian universities;
- Writing articles and preparing scientific journals, monographs, textbooks, readers and other academic materials devoted to RIA and regulatory policy.
- Works performed in the interests of ministries, government agencies and business associations, e.g. empirical examinations (evaluation of regulatory impact assessment quality, public consultations, control- supervision, competitive environment evaluation), including the following:
- Research project "Developing a standard of public consultations of a legal act draft at all stages of its preparation in the frames of regulatory impact assessment" commissioned by the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation,2011;
- Project "Regulatory Impact Analysis of Federal Law Draft "On Protection of public health from the effects of tobacco" commissioned by the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs;
- Project "Introducing regulatory impact assessment in the Republic of North Ossetia – Alania", 2008-2010;
- Pilot project devoted to the introduction of regulatory impact assessment at the Department of Economic Policy and Development of the City of Moscow.
- Work of the expert group "Optimization of state presence: reducing regulatory functions, ensuring transparency and feedback from citizens and business" in the frames of the "Strategy 2020" (2011-2012);
- Developing the concept of establishing National Council for the improvement of legal regulation of business and investment activities accountable to the President of Russian Federation;
- Participation in HSE fundamental research programs (since 2011);
- Developing and teaching academic courses on RIA and evaluation in HSE (Moscow and St. Petersburg, since 2004);
Communication of results
- Publications in scientific journals and publicistic periodicals, Live Journal and social networks;
- Contacts with leading international experts in the field of regulatory impact assessment and regulatory policy;
- Presentations and participation in conferences held in Russia– Moscow State University (2007, 2009, 2011), Higher School of Economics (2007, 2011, 2012) and international conferences– German Evaluation Society (2005-2007, 2009, 2010), European Evaluation Society (2006, 2008, 2012), Spanish Evaluation Society (2009), International Program Evaluation Network (since 2005), International Regulatory ReformNetwork (2011), OECD Workshops on Regulatory reform (2012);
- City Colloquium on Evaluation (since 2004);
- Lecturing at the Higher School of Economics – academic courses "Policy Analysis and program evaluation" (Public Administration Department, since 2005-06 academic year) and "Regulatory Impact Assessment" (Law Department, since 2010-11 academic year).
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!